Advice from a Sacramento Automobile Accident Attorney
Steps to Take After an Automobile Accident
Being involved in an automobile accident is not something that we plan for. However, if you are involved in an automobile accident in Sacramento or elsewhere in California, a Sacramento automobile accident lawyer knows that it is beneficial to any claim or lawsuit to perform the following steps:
- Contact the police. Always call the police to the scene of an accident, no matter how minor the accident is. Police reports are extremely useful for automobile accident attorneys to reconstruct an accident and form the basis for a claim or suit.
- Seek medical attention. After calling the police, contact medical services immediately. While you may not seem hurt, some injuries are not apparent after the automobile accident and can become life-threatening. Sacramento automobile accident attorneys can also use medical reports to support your claim or suit.
- Take pictures. Cell phones allow us to take high-quality pictures. Pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, and damage to your vehicle or vehicle contents can speak volumes for your case.
- Gather contact information. It is important to record the name of anyone who saw the accident as well as those involved. Witness statements can be a good leveraging tool in any case argued by your automobile accident lawyer in Sacramento.
- Gather and keep damaged property. While photos are good evidence, nothing trumps direct evidence from an accident scene.
- Write down your account of the accident. While it is still fresh in your mind, write down any facts that you can recall about the Sacramento car accident.
- Obtain copies of your medical reports and police accident report. As mentioned above, police and medical reports are the basis for any claim or suit, so it is important to have these on hand. Your attorney will find these invaluable to argue your case.
- Contact an attorney. While you may think the insurance company will take care of your claim, they may try to pay you less than you deserve. Skilled automobile accident lawyers can ensure your rights are protected and you receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Sacramento automobile accident lawyers for guidance
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, download our app and contact Mastagni Holstedt, A Professional Corporation at 916-446-4692 for a free consultation with one of our attorneys about your claim. We take all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.