California Nursing Home Negligence Attorneys Aid Vulnerable Seniors
Dedicated lawyers serve clients in Sacramento, Rancho Cucamonga and throughout the state
If a loved one has entered a nursing home, you’d like to be confident that he or she receives a professional level of care that will lead to an eventual recovery or that at least will meet their needs and make them comfortable. Unfortunately, too many nursing home residents suffer from substandard care, neglect or even abuse. If your loved one has been a victim of nursing home negligence, our personal injury attorneys are ready to help. At Mastagni Holstedt, APC, we have ample experience with medical malpractice and personal injury cases arising from incidents in nursing homes. We work to remedy harmful situations and to recover fair compensation for any injuries your loved one has suffered.
Common injuries due to negligence in California nursing homes
Patients who enter a nursing home need a high level of care. However, many nursing homes are understaffed, and their aides, nurses and doctors may lack the training or competence needed to deliver adequate care. As a result, patients suffer from ailments, accidents and mistreatments that include:
- Bedsores — Constant pressure or friction on the skin can produce red spots which quickly deteriorate to deep open sores, also known as pressure ulcers. Elders are particularly vulnerable because their skin is not as moist and resilient. Bedsores are not just painful; they facilitate infections, including deadly sepsis.
- Failure to thrive — Patients can literally waste away due to negligent treatment. Lack of activity can lead to stagnation and depression. Overmedication can suppress appetite, and even someone with a healthy appetite might stop eating if the food is not palatable. Patients who require supplementary oxygen must get the proper levels to maintain health. Finally, victims of verbal or physical abuse can become withdrawn and lose hope.
- Falls — Patients who have difficulty standing and walking need assistance to prevent falls that could have devastating consequences. Some patients might fall out of bed if guards are not up on the sides of the bed. In addition to the injury from the fall itself, patients can sustain severe injuries when poorly trained staff try to yank them back up.
- Infections — In the close quarters of a nursing home, contagions spread quickly, especially when poor hygiene practices exist.
- Medication errors — Failure to give patients the proper medication in the correct dosages at the right times can lead to serious health problems. Negligent dispensing of drugs is a leading cause of nursing home injury.
- Misdiagnosis — When health issues arise during a nursing home stay, doctors should treat patients according to professional standards. Failing to notice or properly diagnose a fever or other sign of disease can have disastrous consequences.
If your loved one has suffered an injury or illness due to nursing home negligence, you need a qualified personal injury attorney to pursue justice on their behalf. By law, a nursing home is liable for negligent acts and omissions by its staff, including medical malpractice by doctors and nurses. Our attorneys are determined to provide the aggressive legal representation you need to obtain justice in your case.
Contact our attorneys in Sacramento and Rancho Cucamonga for assistance with your nursing home negligence claim
Representing victims of California nursing home neglect and abuse, Mastagni Holstedt, APC has offices in Sacramento, Rancho Cucamonga, Pleasanton and Stockton. Contact us online or call for a free consultation with one of our attorneys about your claim. We take all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no legal fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf.