California Burn Injury Attorneys Fight for Victims’ Recovery
Determined representation in Sacramento, Rancho Cucamonga and statewide
A serious burn injury can be a harrowing experience and can leave a victim permanently scarred, doing lasting harm to their self-image and quality of life. They can also lose bodily functions and protection against infection, damaging their overall health. At Mastagni Holstedt, APC, we are committed to helping burn victims recover the compensation they need and deserve. This includes reimbursement for medical bills and lost earnings, as well as compensation for your physical pain and mental suffering. For decades, our firm has fought tirelessly for victims of personal injury throughout California.
Common causes of burn injuries
Burns can be of various types based on their causes, such as the following:
- Thermal — A thermal burn comes from contact with or proximity to a fire or a heat-generating explosion. This type of burn is common in building and vehicle fires and explosions of defective devices.
- Chemical — Contact with a corrosive substance can cause a damaging chemical burn. Such burns are common in industrial accidents involving strong acids, bases, oxidizers, solvents or alkylates. Household chemicals are also capable of producing chemical burns. It is also possible to sustain chemical burns from exposure due to a toxic chemical accident.
- Electrical — These burns can result from any unsafe contact with an electrical source. A low-voltage burn won’t cause lasting damage, but a high-voltage shock can produce a flash burn on the skin as well as internal damage. These burns are common on busy construction sites, where workers can come into contact with carelessly placed cables and power supplies.
- Radiation — The most common type of radiation burn is caused by the ultraviolet light of the sun. However, cancer patients can sometimes sustain radiation burns from negligent treatment.
Burns are generally divided into three categories of severity:
- First degree burn — A minor burn may cause redness and pain in the upper layer of the skin, the epidermis.
- Second degree burn — A more serious burn not only injures the epidermis but penetrates to the second layer of skin, the dermis. The effect is swelling along with red, white or splotchy skin. A second-degree burn can cause severe pain and visible scarring.
- Third degree burn — This most serious type of burn damages tissue down to the fat layer beneath the skin. Tissue may be black, brown or white. Nerve damage often results, causing numbness and loss of mobility. These burns often result in scarring and permanent disfigurement.
Because burns destroy the skin, they leave the body more vulnerable to infection. Severe burns can also necessitate amputation. For all of these reasons, it’s important to speak to an attorney about your right to compensation.
Seeking money damages for burn injury victims
If your burn injury was due to someone’s negligence, you may be entitled to personal injury compensation for:
- Lost income and lost future earnings
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
As your advocates, we are determined to maximize the amount you recover through negotiation, settlement or trial.
Contact a California burn injury attorney about your potential claim
If your loved one has suffered a burn injury, Mastagni Holstedt, APC can help. Contact us online or call for a free consultation with one of our attorneys in Sacramento, Rancho Cucamonga, Pleasanton and Stockton. We take all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, so you pay no legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.