California Crane Accident Attorneys Seek Compensation for Victims
Personal injury and wrongful death lawyers represent clients in Sacramento, Rancho Cucamonga and throughout the state
Cranes are vital equipment for the construction industry, but negligent operation and equipment failures endanger workers and the public. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a crane collapse, a falling object or some other crane-related accident, you need experienced counsel to seek financial recovery on your behalf. At Mastagni Holstedt, APC in Sacramento and Rancho Cucamonga, we have successfully managed personal injury and wrongful death cases resulting from construction accidents.
Common causes of construction crane collapses
Construction crane collapses are potentially the most destructive and deadly mishaps in the building industry. They may be caused by:
- Exceeding the crane’s weight limit — Overloading a crane can cause the boom to buckle or the entire device to tip over.
- Improper anchoring — A crane may topple if not stabilized with proper wood or metal blocking and balanced with a system of counterweights.
- Substandard employee training — Accidents can result from failure to give workers specific operational and safety training to work with and around cranes, to check their workers’ certification or to reinforce safety recommendations.
- Mechanical failure — Companies must regularly maintain cranes to guard against components’ malfunctioning.
- Electrocution and shock — Contractors must be aware of electrical wires and shut off any that lie too near the worksite. Accidental contact with power lines can be deadly to crane operators and other workers on the site.
- Shoddy government inspections — Especially during building booms, government authorities may not have enough inspectors to keep pace with construction projects. Quick, cursory inspections often miss problems that would be grounds for halting crane operation, which can have disastrous consequences.
Although high winds and other natural causes can contribute, a crane collapse is usually a sign that someone has been negligent. We investigate the incident thoroughly to determine exactly who the responsible party is, then work tirelessly to hold them accountable.
Other incidents of construction crane injury and death
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, about half of fatal crane accidents involve workers being struck by an object or piece of equipment. Transportation incidents and falls from heights are also common causes of death related to misuse of a construction crane. Workers may suffer impalement, electric shock, broken bones, crush injuries and traumatic brain injuries.
Third-party lawsuits for injured construction workers
Construction company employees hurt in a crane accident are generally restricted to using workers’ compensation, which limits recovery to medical costs and lost wages. However, if the accident was caused by a third party — meaning someone with whom the injured worker does not have an employer-employee or coworker relationship — the worker can sue that party to recover personal injury damages.
Our construction accident attorneys have extensive experience with third-party lawsuits, which allow injured workers to recover not only lost wages and medical expenses but also compensation for pain and suffering. Don’t assume that workers’ compensation is your only recourse until you speak to an experienced lawyer at our firm.
Contact a California construction crane accident attorney about your potential claim
If you or a loved one has been injured in a crane accident, or if a fatal accident has occurred, Mastagni Holstedt, APC can help. Contact us online or call for a free consultation with one of our attorneys in Sacramento, Rancho Cucamonga or Pleasanton. We take all personal injury and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf.